Tuesday, November 5, 2019

A New Beginning

I've never blogged before but it seems appropriate for the new efforts that I'm undertaking. I'm a role playing game enthusiast. In addition to attending a local convention named Tsunamicon for the last three years, I also collect RPG books and aides and until recently was a player in a local Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition weekly game. About a month ago, my good friend Nathan Deer, who also happened to be the Dungeon Master of the weekly game, announced that he and his family were moving to another state for a more lucrative career. My first reaction was that I should find another group to play in. I was in the process of doing that when I watched a documentary on Vimeo.

The Secrets of Blackmoor  is a documentary by The Fellowship of the Thing Ltd. about the creation of Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1960's and early 70's. Viewing the documentary and realizing Dave Arneson's role in the origination of role playing games made me realize that I want to pursue my own research of the man and his contributions and also any other RPG related topics that I might find interesting while on this journey.

I've already ordered and received several older Dungeons and Dragons publications  and also Dave Arneson's- The First Fantasy Campaign published by The Judges Guild in 1977. I have begun reading the latter and my next post will begin with my evaluation of parts of it and experimentation with the practical applications of its contents.



As a final note, I'm not much of a typist and probably not always as wordy as I should be. Please bare with me as I take my first baby steps in this blog and also if you happen to read this, feedback and commentary are always welcome. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Great start, to an endless journey, of fun, and adventure, I wish you the best my friend, and will be following you.

    ReplyDelete